Monday, September 14, 2009

Deaflympics and more

This was the first full week of teaching! I taught 2 classes, a third grade on Monday and a 4th grade on Tuesday. Rough schedule, I know! The first day was a bit frustrating, but the second day made up for it. I am teaching the kids English through a "situational" classroom. My situation is the clinic, and sometimes the supermarket. The kids learn songs and chants about different parts of going to the doctor or shopping in a supermarket, and then practice a dialogue to improve their English skills. Each class also has a grammar portion that is taught by the native Taiwanese-English teachers. Soon, I will be going into 2nd grade classrooms to read stories and teach a few comprehension lessons, which I am looking forward to.

On Thursday, I bought a bike to help get to school. It is pink (of course!), and looks similar to a miniature Schwinn. It has a basket on the front and already has a name: Earth Angel. No, I did not name the bike this, but thought is was fitting that it is printed on the bike, so I went with it.
Tuesday night, another teacher, Karin, and I sought out a bar called the Brass Monkey (like the Beastie Boys song!) for Salsa night. We had lots of fun watching the melding of two cultures, Taiwanese and Spanish, in an English themed bar. Quite the experience. While we were watching the salsa dancing, we were inundated with athletes and tourists in town for the Deaflympics. I even ran into the gentleman from France, whom I had met on the train the previous Friday. It was fun to meet some of his friends and again, speak and interpret what little I remember of the sign language I've picked up.
On Friday, three foreign teachers from around the country came up to Taipei to enjoy the Deaflympic festivities. Friday night, we all went out to a karaoke bar, or KTV. This is a bit different from American karaoke because you rent a small room with your friends and only have to embarrass yourself in front of a few people, instead of many. We sang songs from "Manic Monday" to "Billie Jean" and "I Got You Babe." A fun time was had by all!
The Friday night KTV group
Saturday, I woke up early to attend my school's Parents' Day, or open house. It felt like the Friday of Parent/Teacher conferences because no one came to talk to us! It was nice to have a relaxing morning after a late night.
All seven of the FETs who were in town met up at the soccer fields to watch Germany and Russia in football. It was a very intense game, and while I don't normally enjoy soccer, it was a interesting to watch and see the interactions between the players and the coaches.
Deaflympics mascot
Russia vs. Germany
After the soccer game, we made our way back to Taipei Stadium where we watched the table tennis competition. While it's nothing like the scenes from Forrest Gump, it was altogether entertaining.
Deaflympics Table Tennis
I continue to love living in Taiwan, although I could really use a relief from this hot and humid weather! Most days, the outside temperature is about 90 degrees, and feels around 95-100 or more. Rumor has it that the air will start to cool in a couple of weeks, but I'm still skeptical.
Although my teaching schedule is very low stress, I do find myself missing the everyday interaction with the same group of kids, and forming the bonds a teacher and students have. I'm finding new places and meeting new people, trying new things, and being open to the possibilities this year brings. I have begun to start planning some weekends away from Taipei and visits to other parts of Taiwan, which I am really looking forward to.
Hope this finds everyone doing well! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment