Thursday, April 22, 2010

Spring Scream 2010

What Kending is known for: beautiful beaches and warm water
We tried to find out what the "Stuff" was at the "Info and Stuff," but I think it was lost in translation.
An avid fan
I can now say I have been to the Southern-most tip of Taiwan; it was cool, in that "I can say I've been to the southern-most tip of Taiwan" kind of way.
The Kissing Rock...awe, how cute!

The first weekend in April was Tomb Sweeping Weekend here in Taiwan. For Taiwanese families, that means going to your ancients' tombs and clearing them and paying homage. To foreign teachers, that means a three day weekend!
My friends from Hualien, Tara, Jacque, and Cassandra asked if I wanted to join them for a music festival called Spring Scream. I likened it to Bonnaroo back home (although I've only ever seen pictures), and thought, why not? Spring Scream is held in Kending, Taiwan, which is the southern most tip of the country. It is known for it's spring break-esque atmosphere and beautiful beaches. Kending did not disappoint.
We arrived mid-afternoon at our hotel, which was right across the street from the park the concert was being held in. We hiked around the park, saw the kissing rock, went to the southern most tip of Taiwan, and then headed to the concert. There were about 8 stages set-up in one area, and the music ranged from hip-hop, to techno, to all other types of music. There were food booths and merchandise to be purchased, and I did come away with a commemorative Spring Scream 2010 t-shirt.
On Sunday, we girls decided to hit the beach before shopping on the main strip of Kending. We caught a ride the couple of miles from the hotel and went swimming and laid on the beach for a couple of hours. We then went shopping and ate Mexican food (yum!), before heading back to catch our trains.
It was a great, relaxing weekend, and I was able to mark another Taiwan city off my list of "must-sees!"

No comments:

Post a Comment