Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas in Taiwan


Christmas in Taiwan was quite different from Christmas back home. Here in Taipei, I didn't start to see decorations for the holiday until the second week of December; quite different from having Christmas decorations in the stores in September in the US! Also, I had to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Monica and I decorated the English Village at school for the holiday and taught the students how to make ornaments that were then hung up on a giant paper tree we hung in the gym. The students were thrilled every time they walked into the gym to see the tree become more festive with each passing day.
On Christmas night, I went to my friend, Karin's house for a small party to celebrate the holiday. It was quite different from the big family gathering I'm used to, but it was nice to share the evening with my "family" here.
Saturday morning, or Friday evening in Mishawaka, my family and I had a chance to video-chat during my family's festivities. Each of my family members brought their presents over to the camera and opened them for me to see. Everyone in the family received genuine Taiwanese surgical masks, as they are very fashionable here. Afterwards, I had a chance to open the gifts my family had sent for me. I got an iTunes card, some earrings, a picture of my nephew, and some sweets.
It was a hard holiday to be away from home, but I realize that this Christmas is only one holiday out of many. Thank goodness for technology, it made it a bit easier to be able to see my family and "participate" in the holiday festivities. Merry Christmas to all and I hope you enjoyed your time with your family!
*Picture above: Miramar Ferris Wheel at night

1 comment:

  1. Every time I read your blog or see your photos, I wonder if you are really coming back to the states ;o) You look to be really enjoying yourself, and I hope the journey is exactly what you needed!! I am so glad that you were able to see your family for the holidays! Video chat is far better than just a photo and an email!!! Miss you Staycie! :o)

    ReplyDelete