Saturday, August 1, 2009

Arrival

So the goodbyes were really sad when I left, but I had no idea what adventure was in store in the next 48 hours. My flight from Indianapolis to Dallas was a great flight, but that's where the fun began. After sitting on my connecting flight to LA, we sat on our plane for an hour and half, then were told the mechanical problems with the plane could not be fixed. After taking the tram around the other side of the airport, my departure time was delayed twice!

We arrived in LA with 20 minutes to spare before our connecting flight to Taipei. It was quite humurous, I'm sure, to watch me run from the domestic side of LAX to the international flights, especially when an airport working told me I had to go outside to reach the international terminals. I'm sure my look of befuddlement entertained this worker. After getting to the China Airlines counter to get my boarding pass, I was informed I had missed my flight. Luckily, I was traveling with another teacher and her family, which was comforting to have company in this situation. We were put on the same flight, a day later, and spent the night in a very nice hotel and had a couple of meals on the airlines.

I survived the 13 1/2 hour flight over the Pacific Ocean and we landed in Taipei with no problems. I gathered my baggage and exchanged some money. We were driven about 40 minutes from the airport to a wonderful hotel, where we will be staying until August 7 during our orientation. After that, I will move into my apartment in the city.

I have to say, it's been a great experience so far, and I've met some incredible people. The only tough part is being away from my family and not having instant access to technology.

I'll keep updating as often as I can! Miss all of you!

4 comments:

  1. Hope you are hanging in there! Miss you, love to hear more from you soon.It is really hot here, wonder what it is like there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are enjoying yourself! Glad you arrived safely! Keep me posted, and I will too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's going on with the typhoon? Much damage in the north?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a whole lot of damage in the north, Jill. Just really rainy! Things are going well, just having a lot of homesickness, but this helps more than I can tell you! More details to come as I get a couple of moments!

    ReplyDelete